August 12, 2016
Dear Students, Parents, and Guardians:
I hope this letter finds you well. It is hard to believe that summer is almost over. I hope you have all had a chance to relax and enjoy time with family and friends. Since the end of the 2015-2016 school year we have had a few changes here at the high school.
We are very excited to welcome the following new staff:
- Ms. Kayla Cardin, Chorus
- Mr. Sean Curran, World Language
- Ms. Nancy Duffy, Science
- Ms. Sarah Finn, Special Education
- Ms. Cyrstal Jankowski, English (Ms. Jankowski was with us as a long-term sub last year)
- Ms. Anne-Marie Larche, World Language
- Ms. Katelyn Reno, Education Support Professional
- TBA, English
Most importantly, schedules for 2016-2017 for all new students were sent in a mailing on Friday, August 9, 2016. If you did not receive a schedule please call the AHS main office to request one. All other students can view their schedules through iStudent. Any current AHS student who does not recall how to access iStudent can email Linda Chaney to have their account reset. It is important to note that the schedules are not 100% finalized and there will be some changes as we try to balance out class sizes and meet the needs of all students. The guidance staff and administration have been working tirelessly this summer to produce the best schedule for the greatest amount of students. Any blank space in the schedule indicates a potential study period. Study periods are being developed as needed and will be reflected by the first day of school. Homerooms and lockers will be distributed on the first day of school.
Our guidance staff will return to the office on August 23. If you would like to set up a meeting with your counselor, we will be offering 15 minute appointments from 8:30 – 11:45, and 12:30-1:30 on August 23, 25, and 26. On August 24, counselors will be available from 11:30-3:00. You may call the high school main office at 508-881-0177 to arrange an appointment.
I thank you for your patience in the scheduling process. I fully understand the anxiety that students may feel when it comes to their class requests. The schedule is always a work in progress and we are trying to meet the needs of all 750 students.
If you have not already done so, please visit our website https://ipass.imgsoftware.com/school/ashland/pamregister.html and sign-up for iParent. Accounts for new students are in the process of being set up and students will receive information on how to log-in at class meetings during the first week of school.
- Freshman and New Student Orientation- Wednesday, August 24 from 4-6pm. We will have a barbecue and fun activities so please plan to attend to get to know the school community.
- The Student Leadership Summit will be on Wednesday, August 24 from 9am-12pm. This annual event is a chance for all students interested in helping to build a positive school culture and set goals and expectations for a great school year. All captains and students in club and activity leadership positions are expected to attend. Please RSVP to Mrs. Chaney at email@example.com or 508-881-0177 to confirm attendance.
- All summer work is posted at http://sites.ashland.k12.ma.us/ahs-guidance-department/summer-reading-assignments
- Football and cheerleading begin practice on August 19 and the other Fall sports team start on August 25. Please make sure to register for fall sports by August 12.
- Please sign up to receive the Principal’s Tweets on Twitter, @KStCoeur and the Athletic Director, @ClockerAD
- First day of classes will be Wednesday, August 31, 2016. There are no classes on Friday, September 2 and Monday, September 5, 2016 in honor of Labor Day.
- I will be using a blog format to share information this year. All announcements and information will be linked to one page so that you can access information easily. Check it out at http://ahsprincipalsnews.blogspot.com/
- I will also be using Remind to send brief texts about upcoming events and other information. Please join the text or email list by following the link on the blog above.
Enjoy the last couple of weeks of summer and we look forward to seeing you soon!
Kelley St. Coeur